Multimedia News Director
Vincennes PBS/WVUT, WVUB-FM, WFML-FM
Full Time Professional Staff Position
Vincennes University Broadcasting is seeking an energetic, organized and experienced broadcast journalist to lead our multimedia newsroom as News Director.
The News Director (ND) leads and manages the planning, production and presentation of news. The ND supervises the news department staff. The ND reports to the General Manager/Director of Operations and works in cooperation with station leadership and staff to support the stations’ missions.
The ND has responsibility and understanding of news planning, reporting, editing and production. The ND helps define and maintain ethical, editorial, artistic and technical standards for broadcast news programs. The ND assists with news programming decisions and news operations. The ND, as the station’s top news authority, is responsible for the journalistic integrity of all station platforms, including social media.
Editorial Planning, Scheduling, Editing (50%)
The ND directs the activities of the news staff to develop story ideas, track issues and events, select reporters for coverage, schedule stories for air, and schedule time for interviewing, writing and editing.
The ND serves as a primary editor to insure news reports are produced in an effective, timely and responsible manner.
The ND acts as a proactive liaison to various internal and external constituencies to advance the stations’ news programming. These may include the station programming and operations staffs.
The ND will represent the stations in regard to the Regional Journalism Center with Indiana Public Broadcasting Stations, of which WVUT and WVUB are active members. The ND will make sure that news is being both utilized from the RJC and contributed to by our news staff.
In an effort to remain ahead of the curve with the changing media landscape, the ND will be charged in adapting the practices of the newsroom to take on updated technology and reporting methods.
Reporting and Anchoring (30%)
The ND is part of the news team and contributes content on a regular basis. The ND may need to anchor radio and TV newscasts, cover meetings and events, host talk/public affairs programs, appear as a program guest, and produce various spots, features or special programs.
Community Relations and Support (20%)
The ND seeks opportunities to promote public contact to help ascertain public needs and bolster station success. The ND participates in station events and fundraising activities as appropriate.
The ND adheres to deadlines and makes timely and effective decisions in situations requiring prompt attention. The ND is the primary content manager during times of breaking news or local crisis.
- A four-year degree in broadcast journalism — or equivalent degree — preferred
- Minimum three years full-time professional experience in broadcast journalism — preferably in a multi-platform (TV + Radio + Web) news environment
- Familiarity with public media news programming standards and values
- Successful candidate will possess broad knowledge of local and regional issues
- Must have ability to work within a live program environment
- Must have experience in broadcast production, news writing and editing
- Must possess effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Must demonstrate the ability to lead a newsroom and coach/train news personnel and students
- Must have excellent memory for details, be able to meet daily deadlines under stressful conditions and work effectively on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Preferred technical skills include:
- television news producing and reporting
- shooting video
- video and audio editing
- proficient in advanced news writing software (which includes creating graphics)
- posting to (WordPress) website
- anchoring radio newscasts
- proficient knowledge of social media posting and best practices
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a VU Application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Human Resources by email to email@example.com or mail to Human Resources, 1002 North First Street, Vincennes, IN 47591.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews may be held concurrently with the advertising period. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note the selected candidate will be required to submit to a criminal history background check. Vincennes University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.