Vincennes University is seeking applicants for the Multimedia Journalist position. This is a full-time professional staff position located at the VU Main site. The successful candidate will be energetic, organized and experienced in the field of broadcast journalism. Attention to detail and the ability to use sound judgement in seeking out news content is required as a member of our multimedia newsroom.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide comprehensive coverage of meetings and events in the community
- Write broadcast news stories for multiple platforms including television, radio, website and social media
- Ability to be comfortable in social settings to approach and interview people for video and radio news content
- Shoot and edit video to create visually appealing stories
- Pitch story ideas for newscasts as well as content for longform storytelling
- Manage social media accounts for stations
- Other duties as assigned by the News Director
Required and Preferred Qualifications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of audio and video editing software.
- Ability to operate video camera and tripod systems.
- Ability to socialize within the community and approach members of the public.
- Capable of making sound judgement of news content.
- Ability to mentor broadcasting students.
- Bachelor or Associates Degree in Broadcasting or related field preferred.
- Professional experience in broadcast journalism field preferred.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Normal physical demands for successful work in a normal newsroom environment. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods. Ability to carry and operate video camera, tripod and other equipment needed to conduct job in the field. Ability to utilize hands for general office work including typing and writing.