
A man accused of rape, whose trial ended in a mistrial, is back in the Knox County Jail after a new bond hearing in Circuit Court.
Following last week’s mistrial, Jack Washington’s attorney asked that he be released from custody. He had been held on a $50,000 cash-only bond. Judge Monica Gilmore initially modified that bond and placed him in work release.
According to Prosecutor Dirk Carnahan, Chief Deputy Prosecutor Mike Steiner told the court he believed work release was a bad idea, but did not specifically use the words “I object.” Carnahan also says no evidence was presented at that time because the hearing was not scheduled in advance and was held after hours.
Carnahan later requested a separate hearing to present evidence on bond.
After that hearing Thursday, Judge Gilmore ordered Washington returned to jail and reinstated the fifty-thousand-dollar cash-only bond as the case moves toward a new trial date.





